Saturday, July 30, 2011

latest tricks, courtesy of Houdini


There have been lots of changes in our household recently. Our little man is getting SO BIG! (Just picture him raising his arms to the sky.)

First off, while we were on vacation, we awoke to a frustrated/terrified scream as E was precariously hovering across the length of the pack-n-play. He had swung his leg and arm over the top to crawl out, but got stuck like a leopard hanging on a tree branch. Only apparently less comfortable. So the hubs and I looked at each other and knew we'd have to do something about the crib situation at home.

About two weeks prior to vacation we'd seen him try to get his toes up over the top of the crib. He's still so young that we weren't ready to consider switching him to a bed. But after the episode at the beach, we weren't willing to take any chances that he'd try the same move at home and fall out. So, we took one side off his crib. (It converts to a toddler bed). Gulp.

The first day he took a nap and could SEE that the side was gone, he jumped right out of bed and cried desperately trying to get out of his room. I think he was afraid and didn't feel safe, despite the bed rail. I snuggled and assured him that he is okay and that this is still where he does his "nappies". I laid him back in bed and that was that. He hasn't gotten out of bed again since. (Knock on wood.) I'm sure when he starts feeling more confident about getting in and out of bed, it will be a new ball game.

So that's been a big change - the mental shift that our boy isn't in a crib anymore, but a big boy bed. (Okay, okay, he's still technically in his crib just with one side missing, but you know what I mean!)

That's not the Houdini part, though.

Before breakfast last week, I was doing some dishes while E was playing. I turned to see what he was up to and there he was - in his highchair. Mind you, I did not put him in! I was in shock as to how he got himself in. I took him out and then watched in amazement. He pushed the highchair away from the table, then scaled right up the front and turned himself around in the seat! While I was terrified at the sheer speed of his act, I was also proud of this impressive feat!


He's got another trick here lately involving his fridge magnets. The trick is to see if they will sink or swim in kitty's water bowl.
Where has my baby gone??? He's growing up way too fast! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to comment? I'd love to hear from you! Share your thoughts here:

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!
Our little guy at 15 months, February 2011.