Sunday, August 28, 2011

pies and flannel board: warm and fuzzy projects

Two pies: apple pie and pot pie. Neither of them will EVER compare to my mother-in-law's pies, but a girl has to try! Thanks to my BFF allrecipes.com, my apple pie was amazing! The pot pie...well, I don't want to talk about it.
And while I had some time on my hands during E's nap, I got started on his flannel board. I've been using recycled cardboard packaging to write alphabet letters (one day he'll be old enough to make his own). My thought was that these could have velcro on the back and be used on a flannel board for spelling. But first, I had to make one.

Supplies: fabric to fit your board, good scissors, staple gun with staples, ribbon, and hot glue.

If you can get past our messy art room/play room, you can see that the backs of these small book cases divide mommy's art room from E's play room. And since they're cheap book cases, it's just a sturdy board backing that can be stapled into.

So I went through my fabrics and found some scrap flannel, fleece, and one other weird yard sale fabric that the velcro seems to like. Next I started stapling it onto the cases. It's important to me that the finished board is safe, so after all the fabric is in place I will hot glue ribbon on top of the staples. Here's my progress so far:
You can see the ugly brown backing of the book cases here. Anything will look nicer than that!
Almost all of the fabric is in place. (Still need a strip of fabric on the far left.)

The stapled seams are ugly! The next step is to cover them with ribbon.

This is the start of our alphabet cards.
When the flannel board is complete, I will update the post!

Finally, Friday was E's last day of camp. I think this photo about sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to comment? I'd love to hear from you! Share your thoughts here:

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!
Our little guy at 15 months, February 2011.