Monday, June 27, 2011

big bug love

While clipping our nasty, uncontrollable forsythia hedges today, I kept coming across all kinds of amazing insects. I have a real love of all things buggy, so I thought I'd share. (And please pardon some of the sub-par photos - my camera is nothing fancy so it's limited on the macro setting.)



This was very close to the cicada. I think it had just emerged!

I'd like to think this preying mantis is one that I rescued. I found 6 or 7 of them in our bathroom about a week ago...

Not the best photo, but tons of fireflies resting on the leaves.

Check out this critter - it looks a lot like a firefly, but look again. See how the head sticks out? I think this is a kind of soldier beetle.

This little beauty was resting in the weeds.


I love a good hairy spider! This one was on the prowl on our shed door.

Don't know what this fly is, but I've seen them before. I'm going to try and look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to comment? I'd love to hear from you! Share your thoughts here:

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!

Yes, peas are delicious - and funny!
Our little guy at 15 months, February 2011.